1 cup whole green gram (whole moong dal)
4-5 cups water
1 stick cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon asafoetida
1 teaspoon sunflower oil
½ medium onion, finely chopped
½ teaspoon cumin seeds
½ teaspoon dry oregano
2 medium potatoes, boiled
1 whole egg / ¼ cup ground chana
1 tablespoons mustard powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Salt or rock salt (black salt) to taste
- Combine the green gram, water and cinnamon in a pressure cooker, bring to pressure and cook for 25 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and add cumin, oregano and onions.
- Sauté until the onion is tender and the herbs are lightly browned.
- Add boiled green gram dal and mash the mixture. Add enough mashed boiled potatoes to bind.
- Stir in the egg white, mustard and salt and pepper to this mixture.
- Add ground chana if the cutlets need thickening.
- Form into patties and cook on a non-stick pan until brown, flipping to brown the other side or cook them in oven at 350 degree F for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve the cutlet hot with salad.
Note: These cutlets can be used as a filling for vegetarian burger.